The following Plains Cree language teaching and learning materials are available. Where possible, links to online availability or access will be provided.
Okimāsis, Jean. nēhiyawēwin, paskwāwi-pīkiskwēwin / Cree: Language of the Plains. 2018.
- This resource is available from U of R Open Textbooks as an open source text with accompanying workbook and audio files.
- It consists of a textbook of 33 chapters presenting topics in Cree language structure (with appendices includes verb charts and vocabulary glossaries, and 20 audio labs with accompanying workbook transcript.
- You can access information about this work here: https://www.uregina.ca/open-access/open-textbooks/titles/cree.html
- You can download the textbook here: https://ourspace.uregina.ca/bitstream/handle/10294/8401/Cree%20Language%20of%20the%20Plains%20PDF.pdf
- You can download the workbook here: https://ourspace.uregina.ca/bitstream/handle/10294/8401/Cree%20Language%20of%20the%20Plains%20Workbook%20PDF.pdf
- You can access the audio files here: https://soundcloud.com/user-632843730/sets/cree-language-of-the-plains or here: https://soundcloud.com/user-632843730/tracks
Ratt, Solomon. māci-nēhiyawēwin / Beginning Cree. Regina: University of Regina Press, 2016.
- This resource is available from the publisher, the University of Regina Press, at this link: https://uofrpress.ca/Books/M/maci-nehiyawewin-Beginning-Cree
- This resource consists of eight large chapters providing an introduction to learning the Plains Cree language, complete with a vocabulary appendix.
- It can be used at the high school or University level, and provides sufficient material for two 3-credit courses.
- It is currently in use for introductory Cree courses, CREE 100 and CREE 101, at First Nations University of Canada, and other institutions which teach Cree.